- Lock down: Centre for Restoration of Values Takes Distribution Of Relief Packages To More Than 250 Families In Lagos and Ogun States
- Muhammadu Sanusi II leads Jumat Prayer in Awe, IGP orders his release
- Breaking: Electric shock killed Amaechi's CSO in Kaduna
- Lagos declares 105 housing estates in Lekki, Ibeju-Lekki, Sangotedo among others as illegal settlement
- IMF reduces Nigeria's 2020 economic growth projection by 0.5 per cent
Abideen Muhammed, Lagos
The press statement released by the National President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi on December 1, 2018 contained seven core messages every lecturer in the University must know and act upon it.
1. Our National struggle to revitalise the Nigeria University system is now in the 5th week.
2. We understand that the “no – work, no – pay” circular earlier issued by government to Vice Chancellors has been withdrawn. Our members are enjoined to be on the watch and prepare for a long drawn out struggle to salvage the University system.
3. Members are to stay away from places where they could be tempted or coerced to sign any form of register or participate in any of the activities that could compromise the integrity of the ongoing strike.
4. Government is yet to change its “keep – them – talking” style.
5. Remember that the strike is total, indefinite and comprehensive. Therefore, there shall be no teaching in any programme, no attendance of statutory meetings ( Council, Senate, Congregation, Boards, etc), no examinations of any sort, no convocation, no inaugural lectures, no accreditation exercise, etc.
6. All members should remain resolute and steadfast as victory is certain.
7. No state University Branch of the union shall meet with its Visitor without the permission of NSCC.