- Lock down: Centre for Restoration of Values Takes Distribution Of Relief Packages To More Than 250 Families In Lagos and Ogun States
- Muhammadu Sanusi II leads Jumat Prayer in Awe, IGP orders his release
- Breaking: Electric shock killed Amaechi's CSO in Kaduna
- Lagos declares 105 housing estates in Lekki, Ibeju-Lekki, Sangotedo among others as illegal settlement
- IMF reduces Nigeria's 2020 economic growth projection by 0.5 per cent
The Super Falcons of Nigeria had on Saturday won the African Women Cup of Nations (AWCON) finals after beating Bayana Bayana of South Africa 4-3.
The game held at Accra, Ghana ended with with both team having a 0-0 draw after which penalties were taken.
At the end of proceedings, Nigeria proved superior at the spot kicks beating their opponents by 4 – 3.
Incidentally Nigeria had missed a penalty in normal time when Assisat Oshoala missed her shot in the second half after Ordega was fouled by the South African goalie.
The win is a record ninth for Nigeria. The 2018 edition is the thirteenth overall for the competition which started in 1991.
Banyana Banyana, overcame Mali in the semi-final, putting two unanswered goals past their opponents.
In the other semi-final, Nigeria beat Cameroon on penalties 4 – 2 to progress. Cameroon have since beaten Mali in the third-place match to book the final slot for Africa at the Women’s World Cup to be played in France.