- Lock down: Centre for Restoration of Values Takes Distribution Of Relief Packages To More Than 250 Families In Lagos and Ogun States
- Muhammadu Sanusi II leads Jumat Prayer in Awe, IGP orders his release
- Breaking: Electric shock killed Amaechi's CSO in Kaduna
- Lagos declares 105 housing estates in Lekki, Ibeju-Lekki, Sangotedo among others as illegal settlement
- IMF reduces Nigeria's 2020 economic growth projection by 0.5 per cent
Reading Time: < 1 minute
Nigeria’s National Assembly was turned into a boxing stage as President Muhammadu Buhari prepares to submit the 2019 budget to a session of both houses.
Several lawmakers were reported chorusing a protest song, ‘Freedom comes by struggle, by struggle; freedom come’ while some engaged in a hot argument and physical exchange of blows.
Two members of the House of Representatives, Mr Bashir Babale and Duoye Diri, had physical combat. Senator Akpabio and Senator Samuel Ayanwu were also seen engaging in heated argument.
The genesis of the problem
Trouble started when some lawmakers brought out placards and others tore them. They were, however, calmed.
The protesters continued with the song as President Muhammadu Buhari stepped into the chamber, while APC lawmakers hailed the President, ‘Sai Baba!’
The National Anthem stopped both sides temporarily.
President is currently addressing both houses on the 2019 appropriation bill.