- Lock down: Centre for Restoration of Values Takes Distribution Of Relief Packages To More Than 250 Families In Lagos and Ogun States
- Muhammadu Sanusi II leads Jumat Prayer in Awe, IGP orders his release
- Breaking: Electric shock killed Amaechi's CSO in Kaduna
- Lagos declares 105 housing estates in Lekki, Ibeju-Lekki, Sangotedo among others as illegal settlement
- IMF reduces Nigeria's 2020 economic growth projection by 0.5 per cent
The Peoples Democratic Party on Monday claimed the All Progressives Congress and the presidency were plotting to arrest and detain some of its leaders before and during the elections.
The PDP also condemned the detention of the Director of the Media Committee of the Governorship Campaign Organisation, Mr Ben Bako.
The PDP National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, told reporters in Abuja that his party would resist any unlawful arrest and detention of PDP leaders and members in any part of the country.
He said, “Our party is concerned about the unwarranted arrest of Bako, who has been detained by the Department of State Services since last weekend.
“We are aware that Bako’s arrest is a prelude to the planned clampdown on our campaign officials by the Buhari presidency and the APC, whose aim is to derail the electoral process, having realised that they have lost the polls.”
Ologbondiyan added, “It is instructive to state that the DSS has given no reason for Bako’s detention, but only acted on the orders of the APC as expressed by the Assistant Publicity Secretary of the Kaduna APC, Salisu Wusono, who openly stated that Bako deserved his ordeal.
“Further reports reaching us from our Kaduna State chapter indicate that many of our leaders, including former governors of Kaduna state — Senator Ahmed Markarfi and Alhaji Mukhtar Yero — Chief Felix Hyat and former chairman of the party in the state, Alhaji Yahaya Makama, have been listed for arrest and are now being trailed by agents of the APC.”
He demanded the release of Bako by the DSS.
He said the PDP would hold the APC and the presidency responsible if any of its leaders or members, particularly in Kaduna State was harmed before the elections.( PUNCH NEWSPAPER).