Senator Ahmad Lawan, representing Yobe North, has been elected as Senate President. Lawan defeated Senator Ali-Ndume with 79 votes, out of the total of 107 votes cast.
1. Ahmed Ibrahim Lawan is a Nigerian senator who represents the All Progressive Congress in the Yobe North Constituency of Yobe State. He became a senator in 2007.
2. He emerged as the new Senate President of the 9th National Assembly with 79 votes cast to beat Senator Ali Ndume with 28 votes on June 11, 2019.
3. Elected to the House of Representatives for the northern state of Yobe in 1999, at different times Lawan chaired the House Committees on education and agriculture.
4. Lawan, 60, was first elected into the Senate in 2007 after his stint in the House of Representatives, and has won re-election three times since. He was Senate Leader in the 8th Senate after his failed bid to become Senate President in 2015.
5. Ahmed Ibrahim Lawan was born in 1959. He received a bachelor’s degree in geography from the University of Maiduguri, a master’s degree in remote sensing from Ahmadu Bello University and a doctorate degree in remote sensing/GIS.from Cranfield University, UK.