- Lock down: Centre for Restoration of Values Takes Distribution Of Relief Packages To More Than 250 Families In Lagos and Ogun States
- Muhammadu Sanusi II leads Jumat Prayer in Awe, IGP orders his release
- Breaking: Electric shock killed Amaechi's CSO in Kaduna
- Lagos declares 105 housing estates in Lekki, Ibeju-Lekki, Sangotedo among others as illegal settlement
- IMF reduces Nigeria's 2020 economic growth projection by 0.5 per cent
Contrary to the rumour, the Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU) has reiterated that members can partake in the forth coming election despite the ongoing strike although with conditions.
ASUU allowed members to voluntarily participate in election but without using any material that bears ASUU or materials relating to the union.
The statement signed by the union’s President, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi partly reads: “In accordance with the ASUU’s long standing position, ASUU as a union will not participate in the conduct of 2019 general elections, although members may voluntarily participate in the conduct of the elections. However, members are prohibited from participating in the election processes using any material that bears ASUU or relates to the union.”
OJOMEDIALINE recalls that ASUU had last week agreed to participate in the election after a meeting between the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Abuja which was misinterpreted by the public.
Mahmoodu Yakubu, INEC Chairman while reacting to the development expressed his delightfulness. He said: “I am happy to say that as a result of this meeting, Nigerians should be rest assured that 2019 general election is fully on course.”
He said the commission would secure collation and returning officers from the pool of university officials it has access to.