- Lock down: Centre for Restoration of Values Takes Distribution Of Relief Packages To More Than 250 Families In Lagos and Ogun States
- Muhammadu Sanusi II leads Jumat Prayer in Awe, IGP orders his release
- Breaking: Electric shock killed Amaechi's CSO in Kaduna
- Lagos declares 105 housing estates in Lekki, Ibeju-Lekki, Sangotedo among others as illegal settlement
- IMF reduces Nigeria's 2020 economic growth projection by 0.5 per cent
The new Executive Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has issued an Executive Order which declared indiscriminate dumping of refuse and waste as illegal and a punishable offence in the Lagos.
Mr Sanwo-Olu, while signing the order earlier today, May 30, in his t the Governor’s Office in the presence of all heads of security agencies in the state, said the order is not to arrest anybody but to bring serenity back to the environment in the state.
The new order also covers areas of public safety such as traffic management and public works. With this new order, anyone found throwing or dumping refuse on roads, streets or unmarked areas will be arrested by the Police or men of the waste management company.
Ambode failed in waste management
One of the key areas the administration of Mr Akinwunmi Ambode failed to excel is waste management and public works. The disbanding of the effective Lagos State Waste Management Agency (LAWMA) by his administration for a foreign waste management company – Visionscape, was adjudge poor and genesis of the current waste crisis in Lagos.